The bill would (per the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy's web page) have the following effects:
- Eliminate dedicated funding for trails, walking and bicycling;
- Destroy a 40-year precedent of long-term dedicated funding for transit;
- Do away with the rail-trail eligibility category in the Transportation Enhancements (TE) program;
- Put our children in harm's way by eliminating the Safe Routes to School program;
- Fail to maximize its job creation potential, since trail, walking and bicycling projects create substantially more jobs per dollar than do highway projects;
- Increase America's dependence on foreign oil;
- and Contribute to our growing health and obesity crises.
If you'd like to help with the effort to remove this bill and get your congresspeople to vote against it, click on one of the links above and join us as we fight for better transportation options!
People, not speed.